Tuesday, August 14, 2012

On My Way Home

The final stretch has finally arrived and I’m only 3 more days at sea till I disembark in Boston. This trip has been great; I’ve added 4 new countries to my list and I’ve learned a lot about Mediterranean history, culture and policies. I’m so glad I had the opportunity to sail with my parents, and I’ve met a lot of really great girls from all over the US, who I definitely want to keep up with.

But I can’t pretend I am not extremely excited to come home. One thing Semester at Sea does is makes you appreciate how wonderful home really is. I am really looking forward to going back and seeing my friends, (yes, Rachel, here is your shout out!), Johnny, and, of course my fat cat, Mr. Panda. I am excited to get back to school and sing with Hoos in Treble, engage in the Promotions class, and eat dinner at the Kappa Delta house, listening to how everyone else’s summers went.

On this voyage, a group of my friends and I painted the flags of the countries we visited on our backs (I’m Italy). It’s a tradition that started for me last year (though this will probably be my last time on Semester at Sea). It’s my favorite picture from the voyage and one of my favorite times at sea. For two hours, nine of the girls I got closest to this summer spent time painting each others backs, swapping stories, memories, and things we learned. Everyone had a different country or experience that was the best in their minds, but everyone agreed that the entire voyage would be unforgettable.

So as Semester at Sea’s motto goes, “The World is Our Campus” and I’m excited to bring it back to Charlottesville.




No comments:

Post a Comment