Sunday, August 5, 2012

Camel Trekkin’

My trip to Morocco was one of my favorite experiences of Semester at Sea so far.

I never expected to find myself in the middle of the Sahara Desert, trekking through heat and sand on the hump of a camel. 3 hours to Marakesh, Morocco and the first place we stop is the camel taxi stand. I went on a Semester at Sea sponsored trip, so 48 other students hopped on the idle camels at the edge of the Sahara with me.

I don’t know much about camels, but I have heard they have a tendency to spit and can survive without water for four days. I didn’t really know what to expect riding along on my lumpy friend, but I found that camels are surprisingly active despite the lack of water. My camel, named Hadil, enjoyed bumping into the camel in front of me, chewing on the rider, and emitting loud dinosaur sounds that echoed off the dunes of the desert. Unfortunately I am not as good at retaining water as a camel, so I chugged as many water bottles as possible to combat the heat. This made for an uncomfortable ride, so to keep my mind off the water swishing around my stomach, I couldn’t stop from singing to myself, “my humps, my humps, my humps, my humps, check me out.”

An hour or two later we stopped at a lone castle like structure for some lunch in the late afternoon where we had our first Moroccan meal before continuing on the camels for a (thankfully) shorter trek. The ship had cleared later than expected, so our camel trek had started a little later than originally scheduled. In order to get to our evening destination, we needed to be flexible (the “f word” of the voyage). The camels would be too slow and riding them at night could be dangerous, especially with the wind kicking up at by dark. Instead, our guide arranged for us to take trucks.

After our lunch and short camel ride we met 2 trucks that the entire 48 of us were herded into. Turns out the trucks were usually used for transporting camels to and fro- in fact, we watched the animals we were just riding hitch a ride in identical vehicles- but this time the trucks would be transporting humans. Feeling like we were being smuggled across the border, we finally arrived at the nomad camp.

For the night, we were staying in the middle of the Sahara in a camp set up by nomads. Though it was clearly set up for tourists, we were literally walking on a red carpet laid down on the sand, the concept of sleeping in tents out in the middle of nowhere was both exhilarating and terrifying. Everyone was exhausted from the trek, so the pillows scattered about the floor were a welcomed comfort, along with the traditional Moroccan dance and music show. They offered many students to get up and dance with them, but I was particularly impressed with my brother, Skye, who was not only able to keep up with the pace, but looked great in the red hat the dancer insisted he wear.
After an extremely filling dinner, all out of traditional Moroccan tagine clay pots, I finally was able to retreat to my tent to sleep. The temperature had dropped from the low 100s to the upper 70s, so it was comfortable to get some rest before our next adventure tomorrow. I made sure to check under the covers and my pillow because I had been warned that scorpions often like to snuggle into bed with you, but they aren’t the best bunkmates. I didn’t even need to count camels, as I easily drifted off to sleep, extremely happy with my first impressions of Morocco.

No comments:

Post a Comment