Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Final Stretch


The stretch between Hawaii and Japan was an excruciating 10 days; once i saw land i couldn't wait to get off. But as we sailed back home to the U.S, I couldn't help but wish I had the ability to slow time down and make the 9 days last just a little bit longer.

Most of my time was spent frantically trying to scramble all the work I had done this semester to turn in for final projects, or I was kooked up in my room studying. One thing I definitely learned on the ship was time management. Somehow- although I'm not sure exactly how- i was able to both study hard, and keep my normal routine of laying out in the afternoon, hang out with friends, and watching movies at night. I know... a rough life. Holing up in my room, classroom 8 or the Union paid off though because I found out that i knocked my classes out of the park! This semester is probably the best I have, or ever will do, in college. Hopefully it's not all down hill from here. But don't get me wrong, it's not because the classes were too easy, or there wasn't much work. Towards the end the professors certainly piled it on, but I think I succeeded the most because I made the projects and papers fun to write, and actually enjoyed writing about what I had learned and experienced.

Once the exams had been taken and the projects turned in, the entire feel of the ship changed. At first it was a buzz of excitement. The first night free for everyone was filled by the Alumni Ball, a nice dinner and dance where everyone dresses up in their nicest attire. I wore my dress I had made in Vietnam and most of the guys dawned their handmade suits. Wine was served- the glasses were rarely allowed below half full if you tipped them well, so the general air was one of drunken happiness. And champagne was popped to celebrate; a good way to end the voyage.

Of course after the excitement of the Alumni Ball faded, it started to set in that Semester at Sea was coming to a close. The next morning there was convocation- cheesy, but worth going to, and a funny closing pre-port lecture "preparing us to get to Ft. Lauderdale" It was definitely sad, but I think a lot of people were ready to get back home. Personally, all I wanted to do was hang out with friends for the last time before we'd have to say goodbye on May 5th.

I wrote this blog after I already got back, so the accounts of events were more nostalgic than anything else. I got my luggage today and as I opened it up I found a few thing hidden in my bag that I didn't even know I had packed. I will certainly miss Semester at Sea and probably consider it the best semester of my life, but I am glad to be back home in Charlottesville (although it's a bit cold, everything is beautiful and so green!) If anyone has any questions about my trip, feel free to ask, I love talking about it! Also, most of my pictures are posted on my facebook page for those interested. Otherwise, I'll miss you all from Semester at Sea, but I'm sure we'll see each other sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment