Saturday, May 8, 2010

Circus Freaks


What was perhaps one of the most memorable parts of Salvador was the morning trip to the circus. I had already been to see the Chinese Acrobats, so I didn't think anything could top that, so when Skye and I sat down on a concrete riser we weren't really sure what to expect. I had thought it was supposed to just be our group of 20 or so Semester at Sea students to watch the show, but just before the performance began, a heard of little Brazilian children came charging into the arena and filled up the entire tent. Great. I get stuck on the end next to 3 girls about 7 or 8 who are squirming in their seats, anxiously awaiting the clowns to enter onto the stage. this would have been fine, except on girl decided it was a fun game to kick me, eat her cheetos while crumbling crumbs onto my head. To top it off, the girls found a stray cat that they continuously tried to have me hold and eat off my head... it was hot, the show was entirely in portuguese so I understood next to nothing, and sadly, the Chinese Acrobats were better.

But what I thought was going to be a miserable experience turned out to be a wonderful one- once all the children left that it. I was not sad to see the little Brazilian girl go with her sticky orange cheeto fingers. Semester at Sea had arranged for us to learn how to do circus things after the show was over. The first talent we were going to *try and learn was trampoline jumping. We were instructed to jump on a spring board, then a trampoline, and try various things: jumping, tucking, summersulting... honestly, this was not my forte, however skye was able to do a complete flip in the air (although I'm not sure the clowns enjoyed that, their eyes bugged out and each sucked in their breath as he landed with a smack on the mat.) The other events we tried were tight rope walking, trapeze, juggling, unicycling, and some cheerleading stunts. I was fairly good at trapeze and tight rope walking, but not nearly good enough to join the circus. But it sure was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment