Friday, July 13, 2012

Baby You're a Firework!

Since we missed the fourth of July, I was excited to hear that the first evening in Dubrovnik would feature a huge firework show above the Old City. We were lucky that the annual Dubrovnik music festival (lasting for more than 40 days straight) was being kicked off the first night in port. More than 15,000 people were gathered in the Old City for the celebration- even the President of Croatia was there! After a great day out on the islands, we headed in for a dinner near the city walls at "Dubrovka", a famous restaurant that served great pizza, potato coquettes (which I demolished two orders of) and cheap, delicious house wine.

It was a girls night out as we headed around to the other side of the city to find a bar on the rocky cliff side to watch the fireworks. We got there just in the nick of time at 10:30 to grab a seat. The fireworks were shot off from boats maybe a fourth of a mile away and were directly above us. Starstruck, I watched in awe as colors of red, blue, gold, green burst in front of my eyes with loud pops to follow, leaving a familiar ringing in my ears. The sky lit up like a fire ignited and rained glitter as the show suddenly came to a close with an epic finale of blinding silver sparklers.

I have to say, they were some of the best fireworks I have seen in my life. Missing the fourth of July and Johnny's expertise in setting off fireworks put a damper on my celebration overseas. But the celebration for the music festival certainly helped make up for it a bit, and they were fireworks I would never forget- if only I was able to get pictures!


No comments:

Post a Comment